Thursday, November 29, 2007

Pure Honduran Goods

I've befriended one of my schoolmates. Last night Ella came over and we watched a movie and made popcorn in a pot on the stove! We were both surprised at how well the popping went. We made it candied by melting brown sugar and margarine (butter would have been better) and drippling it all over the popcorn, I highly suggest trying it! We had a good laugh at watching the popcorn pop through the glass lid and talked about how in many ways everything is an adventure in Honduras. This morning she came over and we both took Tucker for a walk in the jungle while macho guys drove by in their trucks kissing their fingers and whistling. I found myself laughing and relaxing, loving the company and simple comradery of another female. Its Ella's first time traveling on her own, she left Belgium three weeks ago. Today over black coffee and purring kittens we talked about travel and being in foreign countries. I think we both found a lot of comfort being able to talk to somebody about the ups and downs of it all. She has a travel blog too and we talked about how easy it is to only write about the good stuff. To not mention all the small things that ware you down. At home one doesn't even think about crossing the street, buying fruit, catching a bus. When travelling even the simplest things become a whole new venture and it gets really tiring. We talked about how wonderful traveling looks from a distance and how its easy to forget about the down right dirty grit of it all. The smells, the lonley times, the desire to be involved in the culture but finding ways to be involved in a way that you want to be and not in a way you think you should be. All the things that she has struggled with and continues to struggle with match mine. Its nice to take a breath and have some conformation from another person.

By the end of class today I was itching to move around and didn't want to practice any more past tense verbs so my teacher and I walked over to the local market and bought one of the local delights, cigars. They supposidly rank the third best in the world and cost me a whole five cents each! Ella and I are going to give them a try tonight.

1 comment:

Connie K said...

Meg, I'm really enjoying getting to know you better through your blog. It's great that you have found a friend and fellow traveler in Ella. It's so much better to have someone to share things and experiences with, good and bad. As for the cigars? I can hardly wait to see what your grandmother's response will be. LOL