Monday, November 26, 2007

escuela

My charges...

The last few weeks I have been studying at the locally run language school, Guacamaya, with Julia the teacher that my mom had a few years ago and is about half my height. This week she is on vacation so I decided to check out the larger language school here in Copan that is run solely by women. I had a rather lazy weekend recovering from having two of my wisdom teeth pulled and was feeling ready to be challenged mentally and take my Spanish to the next level. For the next week I will be studying with my teacher, who is the same age as me, for four hours a day. Since I started house sitting I have not been speaking as much Spanish as I was when I was with Maritza and found myself converting back to thinking and writing in English. Four hours of conversation and studying has once again switched by brain to Spanish and it feels good. I was really surprised with myself today how much I could understand and how I could carry on a conversation. I am starting to be able to form complete sentences instead of knowing only a few words. After each day of school I find myself leaving almost surprised and how much I love it.

1 comment:

Connie K said...

2 wisdom teeth out? Ouch. Hopefully you don't look like too much of a chipmunk ;) It's amazing how much of another language you can learn when immersed in it, and need it in order to conduct everyday life. And the more you learn, the easier it gets.

I'm also enjoying your pics - you've got a good eye. I have no doubt some day, you will add author/photographer to your resume, if you haven't already done so.

Blessings,

Connie