Friday, November 9, 2007

My first steps towards becoming a midwife



Yesterday I went back to the clinic to visit the woman that I had witnessed giving birth the day before and brought her some baby clothes which she was thrilled about!!!! I've decided that going to the clinic is not that best use of my time. Instead I am going to focus more on my Spanish. Since my mom was there, two years ago, things have changed. Its mostly male doctors now and in retrospect the birth was far from respectful or caring! I had a conversation with Maritza last night and she was saying that women no longer want to go there and ask her to attend their labors instead of going to the clinic! After our conversation Martiza pulled out a pamphlet written in English stating the goals of a new non profit organization she and about five other women, from Canada, the UK and locally want to start. Its a program designed to teach women in the community about health care and an apprenticeship program for Midwifes!!! It looks totally amazing and I really want to get involved.

Last night Danya's aunt came for a check up. She's due on the 10th and Maritza was saying that I could be her assistant with the birth! Martiza showed me how to measure the belly and thus determining the size of the baby. Its a big one! She also had me listen to the heartbeat and feel moms cervix which were surprisingly hard. I was so thrilled to be doing even the most simple thing and excited to be learning things. Afterwards Maritza and I used the Partera/Midwife books to talk about some health concerns around her age and possible risks with the swelling in her legs.

I'm struggling with the food and feeling slightly sick after meals. Lots of white flour, potatoes, sugar and almost no vegetables. Everything has a meat flavor to it or bits of flesh floating in it like the chicken noodle soup for lunch today which turns my stomach. Last nights dinner was more white noodles and yesterdays lunch was more potatoes. The beans I am fed here and there are good but are also always smothered in an really really salty and slightly sour cheese that turns my stomach...

2 comments:

Greg Kemp said...

BueƱas noches Maya,
Great entry. The food was always problematic for us. Good that you may have a kitchen, it makes the food thing alot more enjoyable and easy. It definitely requires some flexibility of habits because eating is a big one.

Susan and Denis/Grandma and Grumpa said...

Buenas dayas Maya:

How much your life has changed in one short week!! We hope that you are able to find a quick solution to the issue of food because we know how important healthy food is to you.
Your updates are so rich with word pictures. We love to read the entries everyday.
Love from us both,

Grandma and Grumpa