Friday, November 30, 2007

Cultural Taboo

My teacher, Mariela.
I finished my intense week of school today. I was really sad by the end! I had a total blast with my teacher and will miss our daily conversations and mix of work and play. At the end I was talking about how I wasn’t sure where I was going to live from now on and she offered me a place in her house! I feel like my learning has come leaps and bounds from where I started last week. I hope to do another week of studying in January. It all depends on finances as it isn’t cheap.

Tomorrow (Saturday) is world Aids awareness day. Yesterday Ella and I dropped off about six hundred condoms with a gringo who is organizing stuff for tomorrow. He runs an art centre of sorts and has set up permanent residence here. Later when I was digging in my bag at school for a pencil I pulled out some condoms that I had missed. My teacher, Mariela asked what they were. I asked if she had ever seen a condom before and she shook her head no! I was shocked so I opened one up and gave her a demonstration on how to safely use it. Afterwards I blew it up into a balloon and tossed it onto the floor of the classroom and we both forgot about it. Today when class started she told me that the director of the school was angry at her for it being in the classroom. I told Ella on break and she told her teacher and it turned into a bit of a fuddled mess with Mariela feeling worried that she was going to get into further trouble for it. Ella and I were both rather shocked at what big deal it was made into. It was yet another reminder of the taboos and lack of sexual education in this country.

No comments: