Wednesday, August 27, 2008

Visiting the clinic for the first time

This morning we headed to the school. When we turned onto Magoffin street my heart jumped into my throat and I became so nervous hardly believing that I was here, in El Paso at the school that I have been working so hard to get to for so long. I had to take a second in the car before we walked through the front gate and up the creaky steps. Several men sat on the porch waiting. “Buenos dias” felt good and strange on my lips. Walking through the slamming screen door is a moment I will never forget. A hallway stretched in front of us, the walls covered in posters. To my left was a waiting room filled with about ten or so mammas and babies. To our right one of our soon to be colleagues was doing an initial appointment with a woman. We didn’t get to chat with Kaley, the director of the school, but we did get to walk around, check out the kitchen and upstairs. Its hard to believe that I am going to be living and breathing that place for at least a year and how familiar it is going to be....

Jessica and I are now back at our little home lounging around after a fantastic lunch of fresh tortilla’s, cheap and amazing avocados and really really hot salsa which we ate over frying pans playing the role of plates and using disposable plastic spoons collected throughout our trip....

No comments: