Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Arrival in El Paso

So. El Paso, Texas. First impressions? Big, crazy drivers and hot and humid. The rest of our road trip was a stretch for both of us, our zest for the road fading. We found a cheap youth hostel in Denver and crashed out in the heat of the afternoon. I woke up feeling woozy and ending up worshipping the toilet bowl on the old tile floor and later at a gas station. At around 8pm we were fed up and decided to hit the road. Jessica managed to drive for a few hours while I squeezed my eyes shut ignoring the road and praying to keep what water I had in my stomach down. At around 2am we pulled into a truck stop and took a glorious nap on the grass for a few hours. We eventually made it Albuquerque and stopped at a big health food store and stocked up on cheap goods like crazy amounts of apple sauce on sale (the jars will be great for storage later) and mac&cheese for a $1 each. When we pulled up to our car in the parking lot with the shopping cart the guy in the car next to us started laughing asking how the heck we were going to fit it all in my little car. We just laughed and went to work with our magic fingers cramming apple sauce into every possible corner, praying we wouldn’t be hit in the head by it for the last four hours of our drive. When we finally made it to El Paso we checked into a week by week hotel place that ends up being really cheap....














1 comment:

Beth said...

It takes a little bit but it really does grow on you. I am excited to meet you....I just finished but planning on starting as staff in training soon. So if you need anything let me know. Hope your stomach feels better