Thursday, January 24, 2008

Roatan

Anna, Sara and I have been in Roatan since Monday afternoon staying with Miss Peggy, an RN that started a clinic here in 2001. She has a team of doctors visiting from the states and does an amazing job of organizing and running the clinic. Her clinic is in much better shape then the hospital where we visited the first day and which doesn't even have running water! The "isolation room" in the hospital only has a screen door to bar infection. Much to my frustration I've had really dry wracking cough all week. The last few days I have stayed at home and not gone to the clinic in fear of exchanging infection with the patients. I also have a case of Ring Worm on my leg. Its not as bad as it sounds and is actually just a fungus on the skin. Its a round red spot about the size of a toonie that I at first thought was a spider bite with broken skin around it. Sara has it too so were able to share the cream for it, I call her my ring worm sister. Lucky for me I have a team of about six doctors and three nurses to treat my various ailments! Tomorrow we will take the ferry back to Copan and then two buses. The trip will probably take about thirteen hours.

No comments: