Tuesday, January 8, 2008

Back To Copan

Ahhh...its so easy to neglect this blog, especially when traveling!

Kate and I spent an amazing new years on a volcanic lake called Lago Atitlan. A few days later she returned to Canada and I am back here in Copan to work on the Life to Life program and am working in Libelula, Anna's fair trade store. It feels really good to be back in Copan. My first night back here I woke up feeling really nauseous and spent the night throwing up and running a bit of a fever. I was glad to be home when I got sick though! Martiza took excellent motherly care of me bringing me soup in bed and offering to give me an injection in the bum. Much like India they seem to think that injections are the cure for everything here! Its amusing and a bit sad.

It seems like everyday time is speeding up. I guess that's what happens when you fall into a routine. I'm finding a renewed energy to study Spanish and am benefiting from the steep learning curve that am being rewarded with. I'm also appreciating the warm weather and sunlight here. Today as I wrote in my journal I was reflecting on what a different January this has been so far compared to my past ones!
Sometime next week Anna and I are heading to Roatan, an island on the east coast of Honduras to research several clinics, one specializing in AIDS, for the Life To Life project. I'm feeling really happy to be engaged and learning and feel like I have a good solid balance of things in my life right now.

was supposed to fly back to Canada on March 5th but have forfeited my ticket and am flying to the Virgin Islands (Bahamas) at the end of February to find work in the tourist industry instead of returning back to Vancouver.

I'm starting to finish up the last touches on my application for school and gather up the last bits of needed information. I'm really hoping that they have room for this September as I am feeling really inspired and excited to start Midwifery school!!

No comments: