Monday, September 15, 2008

Transition




This morning we went to the hospital to familiarize ourselves with the facility so when a woman transports due to complications of labor we know where to go. After we went to the best place in town to get tamales and ate them from a view point above El Paso. On friday orientation ends and we begin working 24 hour shifts in the clinic. I am starting to see a weariness in the group and in myself. The learning has been intense and I’m starting to wonder just how much more information I can absorb. Each class is so important and even missing five minutes can set you back as the information is so vital. Things are going to be more emotionally intense when we start working in the clinic. I have been speaking little to no Spanish and feeling a need to start exercising that muscle in my brain so that I am able to work with the clients in appointments and help them labor. The only way I feel like I can really prep is reminding myself to breath breath breath for the moments that I know are going to come. These past weeks have been all consuming with my time off usually spent trying to make the apartment more homey or studying. I’ve gotten a lot of homework done which feels great. The information that I learn from doing it feels so important to know and I am so interested in it it rarely feelings a chore. All of it is to help me become a better Midwife and to expand my knowledge which I am hungry for. Right now the 18th months ahead of me seem like forever. I’m looking forward to settling into my life here a bit more. I love it here and want to feel like my life is balanced and complete which it doesn’t feel like right now but its getting there. Its a real blessing to have a home that feels as good as it does and to have such a great roommate.

No comments: