Thursday, September 4, 2008

Settling in

Writing this from the glow of my computer and candles. Jessica and I are about to spend our second night in the apartment, my first night alone in my own bed and room! We had it set up that our beds would be delivered last night but only one came. This afternoon after school we cleaned the apartment like mad women and started to make the place feel like home. We still don’t have electricity so when it gets dark we spend our evenings strolling the isles of K-Mart eating Taco Time or devouring cereal and warm milk in bed.

Tomorrow is our fourth day of our three week orientation. So much has happened in the past three days I don’t even know where to begin or end. By 9pm my eyes are watering and I am so ready for bed. Tomorrow after a full day of classes I have my first clinical shifts. Its just three hours of following an “intern” (a student that has completed 6 months) and getting a feel of the clinic. I’m looking forward to it.

Classes have been amazing and beyond what I expected. Everybody is so kind and supportive and always checking in and assuring that they will be there every step of the way holding our hands until we are confidant. As the program is excellerated things move fast, really fast. In five and half weeks we will be catching babies. In two and a half we have a long list of things that we must be proficient at and be signed off by the licensed Midwife on duty who overseas the whole clinic.

I know in retrospect I will realize just how much I am absorbing and learning. Right now its all about getting up in the morning, spending all day in class and then rushing around trying to get all the little nitty gritty things taken care of. I’m so thankful that I have Jessica, my partner in crime to make jokes about the “El Pasonian” driving (ITS HORRIBLE) and talk through the moments of panic when we realize how many assignments we have. Were both so happy to be here but also hanging on by our finger nails, trying to stay on top of everything.

No comments: