Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Spanish lessons on a volcanic lake

I´ve been in San Pedro for the last week, a beautiful town on a volcanic lake in Guatemala where Kate and I spent new years. The first few days were tough, I found myself getting way more attention from men, especially older men then I wanted and was wondering how great being a single female traveler was! Things have improved however..Here´s a little update for you all as I have been spending my time.-..

I felt something here at new years. An energy, something.....I´m so glad I was able to come back and go through it. I´m eating really good food, doing Spanish three hours a day and reading for most of the rest of it. The last two days I have hiked up into the real Guatemalan part of the town where I can get delicious and HUGE liquados in a bag for only 5Q. On my way to school I am going to go to a yoga center that is offering three day spiritual classes. Last night I dreamed of whirling dervishes. Yesterday afternoon I went to the Buddha bar and drank a massive pot of tea and then treated myself to Pho noddles and a glass of red wine while I watched a slow Alfred Hitchcock movie. Yesterday as I was washing my few clothes by hand I asked myself ¨what is life?´and realized that life is reading books, that it does not have to be seen as ¨down time¨ or a ¨break from life¨ because it is life! Yesterday I swapped the book I finished for Eat, Love, Pray AND found that I have a podcast on my ipod from the author! I´m feeling introverted and shy, awkward around people but its OK because right now I am finding sanctuary in myself. On Monday I head back to Guatemala city to pick up my visa and return to Copan.

1 comment:

Susan and Denis/Grandma and Grumpa said...

ola Maya:

Wonderful to read your updates they are always so full of such deep thoughts.

Enjoy the last couple of weeks in Copan. We are so looking forward to meeting up with you .........

Take care, be safe and healthy. We love you lots and lots.

Grandma and Grumpa
xoxoxoxoxox